Zucchini Fettuccine Alfredo
This is one of my favorites pasta dish. Zucchini replaces traditional pasta in appearance and texture. The mouth feel is just like the real thing. You don’t need a spiralizer for this recipe. All you need is a vegetable peeler to make nice large ribbons. I vary the vegetables in the pasta dish according to the season. In the spring you can use asparagus spears or young spinach instead of the peas, in summer use green beans or fresh peas, in the fall use broccoli florets.
I dress this pasta with a rich, nutritious and creamy sauce of seeds and nuts. Sure to please your family. Enjoy!
3 medium zucchinis
1½ cup frozen green peas
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or thinly sliced carrot
¼ tsp salt
Marinated Mushrooms (below)
Alfredo Sauce (below)
- To make the zucchini noodle: using a vegetable peeler, remove the skin from the zucchinis – and save for soup if it’s organic. Starting from one end of the zucchini, peel a long ribbon of flesh down to the other end of the zucchini. Turn the zucchini and repeat this step around the entire zucchini, until the core is so small that it is difficult to peel (save the core for the sauce). Repeat this step for the other zucchinis.
- Place noodles in a bowl and add the salt. Toss to mix the salt with noodles. Set aside for 10-15 minutes while preparing the rest of recipe.
- Thaw the peas by placing them in a bowl of hot water to thaw. Set aside.
Marinated mushrooms ingredients:
1 ½ cups shiitake mushrooms
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp tamari
1 tsp lemon juice
Slice the shiitake mushrooms and place in a small bowl. Add the marinade ingredients to the mushrooms and stir to coat. Place in oven while making the sauce.
A rich creamy sauce to dress up Fettuccine Alfredo
½ cup pine nuts, soaked 30 min to 2 hours, rinsed, and drained
½ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup hemp hearts
1 cup zucchini core from making the pasta
2/3 cup water
3-4 tbsp lemon juice
2 small cloves garlic
½ tsp Celtic salt
1 tsp jalapeno pepper (optional if you like it spicy)
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy. If the mixture is too thick, add small amount of water by the tablespoon – just enough to blend.
- Place the noodles in a colander and drain the liquid. Transfer back to the bowl.
- Add the marinated mushrooms, drained green peas, cherry tomatoes or carrots, and the sauce. Gently stir all together.
- Place the bowl in oven at the lowest setting for 20-30 minutes to warm up.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition for 1 serving – RDA in %:
|Calories 740||Vitamin C 71.8 mg or 96%|
|Fat 61 gr or 65%||Vitamin E 16.7 mg or 111%|
|Carbohydrate 43.9 or 22%||Calcium 109 mg or 9%|
|Protein 31 gm or 60%||Iron 12.4 mg or 155%|
|Vitamin A 86 mcg or 12%||Copper 2 mg or 221%|
|Vitamin B1 or thiamin 1.4 or 131%||Potassium 1565 mg or 33%|
|Vitamin B2 or riboflavin .68 mg or 62%||Magnesium 461 mg or 144%|
|Vitamin B3 or niacin 9.9 mg or 71%||Manganese 5.5 or 304%|
|Vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid 3.8 or 76%||Phosphorous 1092 mg or 156%|
|Vitamin B6 or pyridoxine .78 mg or 52%||Selenium 27 mcg or 19%|
|Zinc 8.8 mg or 109%|
|Sodium 248 mg or 14%|